External Marketing and Your Christmas Open House…
With Christmas just around the corner comes an opportunity to widely promote your practice. In addition to this yearly occurrence the recession may have people watching their pennies but everyone is tired of clamping down and ready to have some fun! The tool to use to capitalize on this opportunity is your practice Christmas Open House.
This 4 hour event, held usually on the first Sunday afternoon of December is your No. 1 external marketing tool to promote your practice into your community and give thanks for their support over the last year as well and introduce yourself to potential new clients.
Here are some basic rules:
- Book well in advance. 6 weeks is best. The first Sunday afternoon from 1 – 4pm in December is often a good time as it is ahead of all the other parties.
- Get your staff involved. Assign the event to your Director of Public Relations and Marketing. Let him or her have at least 6 hours a week to plan
- Let your clients know. Get out postcards, emails, ads in the paper etc…
- Tie it in with a good cause such as proceeds from pictures with Santa going to the local shelter (many in big trouble financially with the flood of unwanted pets given up during the recession)
- Make it fun. Have pictures with Santa and the no 1. activity – bobbing for Turkey wieners!
- Call the press – they are always looking for great stories
- Serve nice refreshments like hot apple cider and eggnog.
- Make sure ALL (no exception) pets are on leashes.
- Have all your clients bring a friend.
- Offer a discounted Christmas service such as dental cleanings and grooming discounts over the next 3 weeks.
Sounds simple? It is. Try it out and watch what happens.